Science Highlights Presentations
NERSC collects highlights of recent scientific work carried out by its users. If you are a user and have work that you would like us to highlight please send e-mail to email@example.com. In the list below, names of researchers who did the work appear in brackets.
- Creating Nanoscale Ferroelectricity from a Nonferroelectric Film [X. Wu, Temple University, Science, 349, 6254, 1314-1317, Sep. 2015] [BES]
- Stabilizing a Tokamak Plasma [S. Jardin, Princeton Plasma Physics Lab, Phys. Rev. Lett., 115, 2140001, Nov. 2015] [FES]
- Predicting a New Phase of Superionic Ice [J. Sun, Princeton U., Nature Comm., 6, 8156, August 2015] [BES]
- LUX Dark Matter Experiment [R. Jacobsen, Berkeley Lab, Phys. Rev. Lett., Dec. 11, 2015] [HEP/NP]
- Reflective Roofs Help Reduce Energy Use [D. Millstein, Berkeley Lab, Env. Sci. & Tech., 49, 14672-14679, Nov. 2015] [BER]
- Nobel Prize in Physics 2015 [SNO Collaboration, Phys. Rev. Lett. 87, 071301, 2001] [HEP/NP]
- CT Scan of Earth Links Mantle Plumes with Volcanic Hotspots [s. French, B. Romanowicz, UC Berkeley, Nature 525, 95-99, Sep. 3, 2015] [BES]
- Electron Heat Loss in Fusion Plasma [Belova, Princeton Plasma Physics Lab, Phys. Rev. Lett., 115, June 29, 2015] [FES]
- BISICLES Ice Sheet Model and Climate Change [D. Martin, Berkeley Lab, The Cryosphere, 1579-1600, 2015] [BER]
- Polarized Laser Pulses Could Change Nature of Graphene [T. Deveraux, Stanford, Nature Comm., 6, 70475, 2015] [BES]
- High Accuracy Modeling of Geothermal Wells [Melior Innovations, Inc.] [Industrial Partnerships]
- Modelling Aids Radiation Damage Studies [R. Devanathan, Pacific Northwest National Lab, J. Materials Res., vol. 30, no. 9, May 14, 2015] [BES]
- Using Supercomputers to Analyze Syncrotron Experiments [R. Saykally/D. Prendergast, UC Berkeley, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 2014] [BES] Read more...
- Simulation Insights into Water and Soft Matter [A. Striolo, Univ. College London, J. Phys. Chem. B, 119, 5467-5474, 2015] [BES]
- Observing a Supernova Colliding with its Neighbor [P. Nugent. Berkeley Lab, Nature, Vol. 521, May 21, 2015] [HEP] Read more...
- Assessing the Impact of Fracking on Drinking Water [G. Moridis, AGU Water Resources Research, 51, 2543-2573, 2015] [BES] Read more...
- Expanding the Impact of Pore Scale Simulations [T. Scheibe, AGU Water Resources Research, Feb. 2015] [BER]
- Improved multiscale modeling method leads to key result for batteries [T. Miller, Caltech, J. Phys. Chem. C, 119(8), 3865-3880] [BES] Read more...
- Climate change effects on wind turbine industry are being evaluated [S. Capps, Vertum Partners] [SBIR]
- Multiscale Two-Phase Bubbly Flow Modeling [J. Ma, Dynaflow, Inc., Chem. Eng. Sciences, 128, 64-81, 2015] [SBIR]
- Using NERSC to Help Optimize SNS [S. Veltzer, Tech-X] [SBIR]
- Investigating element 106, seaborgium [G. Malli, Simon Fraser U., J. Chem. Phys., 142, 064311, 2015] [NP]
- Those bothersome fusion blobs [W. Lee/ M. Urbansky, UC San Diego/Livermore Lab, Phy. of Plasmas, 22, 12505, 2015] [FES]
- Boosting Combustion Research [Bell] Read more...
- Power to the Electrons [Leemans] Read more...
- Material Genomics to the MAX [Ching]
- Tracking Tropical Clouds to Polish Climate and Weather Prediction [Hagos]
- 'CT Scan' of Distant Universe Reveals Cosmic Web in 3D [Lee] Read more...
- New Inexpensive Silicon-based Semiconductor for Solar Energy Conversion [Galli]
- Relearning Acid-Base Fundamentals [Mundy]
- Probing Mercury's Partnering Preferences [Smith]
- Fusion Simulations Could Reduce Reactor Costs [Landreman/Dorland] Read more...
- NERSC Projects Put Data in the Fast Lane Read more...
- Meraculous Genomics Performance [Yelick]
- Unusual Demise for Some Ancient Stars [Chen/Woosley] Read more...
- Promising Approach to Solar Conversion [Galli]
- Basic Understanding of Water as Solvent [Xantheas]
- Tokamak Stabilization via Simulation [Citrin] Read more...
- Unusual Climate Modeling Result: Decreased Flooding From Higher Temps [Stone] Read more ...
- Improving LED Efficiency Through Computation [Kioupakis] Read more ...
- Controlling NanoParticle Assembly [Grest]
- Controlling Nanoparticle Interactions to Engineer New Materials [Grest]
- Computational High-Throughput Screening of Organic Materials for Solar Energy and Lighting [Kara]
- Materials Informatics Helps Optimize Gas Storage [Smit]
- Colossal Magnetic Moments Discovered [Jena] Read more...
- Exploring Magnetism in a Single Atom [Gangopadhyay]
- Disordered Materials Hold Promise for Better Batteries [Ceder] Read more...
- Model Shows Arrangement of Proteins in Photosynthetic Membranes [Geissler]
- How Many Earths are There? [Petigura] Read more...
- IceCube is 2013 Physics Breakthrough of the Year [Gerhardt] Read more...
- Simulation Couples with Experiment to Boost Energy Research [Smith]
- Simulation Captures the Essence of Carbonate Crystallization [Whitelam]
- Project Discovers 'Fingers' of Heat that Help Explain the ’Plumbing' of Earth’s Mantle [Romanowicz] Read more...
- Developing Better Catalysts [Mei]
- World's Thinnest Solar Cell [Grossman]
- Stabilizing Carbon Nanotubes [Striolo]
- New Theory of Crystallization [Wallace] Read more...
- Fusion Snakes [Sugiyama]
- Alzheimer's and Amyloid Fibril Assembly [Ghatty]
- IceCube Finds Neutrinos Invading from Another Galaxy [Gerhardt]
- First Independent Confirmation of Global Land Warming [Compo] Read more...
- Mail-Order Metal Organic Frameworks [Smit] Read more...
- Study Shows How a Greenhouse Gas Could be Converted to Fuel [Batista]
- NERSC Collaboration will Improve Materials Analysis [Persson, Jain, Cholia]
- Reduced Climate Change Impact in California from Emission Regulations [Collins] Read more...
- Tundra Bushes Add Fuel to Northern Thaw [Bonfils] Read more...
- New Method Improves Simulations of Foams, Membranes, Detergents, and More [Saye, Sethian] Read more...
- Using Computation to Understand the Basis of Circadian Rhythm [Batista]
- Computation Improves Lithium Batteries [Leung]
- NERSC Helps Planck Mission Expose Ancient Light [Borrill] Read more...
- Studies Suggest Super-Efficient Solar Cells [Wippermann, Galli]
- Explaining the Origin of Semiconductor Exciton Binding Energy Variation [Zu]
- Freely Decaying Turbulence in 2-D Electrostatic Gyrokinetics [Dorland]
- Study of Runaway Electron Currents is Important Step Towards Understanding ITER Plasma Disruption [Izzo]
- Magnetic and Plasma Stochasticity can be Intrinsically Generated in Confined Toroidal Plasma Edges [Sugiyama]
- Determining the Sign of the Pairing State in High-Tc Superconductors [Das] Read more...
- Study Points to More Efficient Catalysts [Chen] Read more...
- Nailing Down the Structure of Mullite (Ching)
- Climate Change Mitigation and Sea Level Rise (Washington/Meehl/Hu)
- Science at Scale: Plasma Finding is Key for ITER (Chang) Read more...
- Understanding Battery Failure (Miller)
- Computational Studies Shed Light on Energetic Materials Degradation (Kuklja)
- Science at Scale: Understanding CO2 Sequestration (Trebotich)
- Using Computation to Improve Water Desalination (Grossman) Read More...
- Dramatically Increasing Weather Forecasting Skill (Hamill/Bates)
- "Windows of Opportunity" for Efficient Gas Separation Using Carbon Nanotubes (Jiang)
- Modeling Feat Sheds Light on Protein Channel's Function (Miller) Read More...
- Simulations Reveal Universal Viscosity Behavior of Polymer Nanocomposites (Grest)
- Implications of the Higgs Boson Discovery (Nath)
- A Climate Extension to the Weather Research and Forecasting Model, CWRF (Liang)
- Modeling Reveals How Oceans Plunged the Planet into a Catastrophic Big Freeze (Condron)
- Efficient Discovery of Porous Materials for Gas Separation and Storage (Smit) Read More...
- Simulations Reveal Key Fuel Cell Membrane Characteristics (Devanathan) Read More...
- Calculations Suggest Promise for Graphene-Nanotube Transistors (Varga / Cook)
- Computer as Laboratory: Test-Tube Simulations of Protein Unfolding (Daggett)
- Promise for Onion-Like Carbons as Supercapacitors (Jiang/Cummings) Read More...
- Learning from Photosynthesis (Cheung) Read More...
- Science at Scale: Parallel I/O Supports Analysis of Trillion-Particle Simulation (Byna/Karimabadi) Read More...
- Unlocking the Mysteries of the Neutrino (Gratta/Marino) Read More...
- Tuning Nanoporous Graphene for Gas Separation (Schrier) Read More...
- Science Through Volume:NDCX-II Simulations Help Clear the Path to Heavy Ion Fusion (Friedman) Read More...
- Science and Energy Insight from NERSC + ALS (Saykally/Prendergast)
- Computations Reveal the Mechanism of Catalytic Reduction of Ntirogen Dioxide (Broadbelt/Snurr)
- Science at Scale: Simulations Aid in Understanding Climate Impacts (Collins)
- A New Kind of Neutrino Transformation (DayaBay) Read More...
- Powered by NERSC, JGI Database Now Contains 3 Billion Genes (Markowitz)Read More...
- Deep Oceans Can Mask Global Warming for Decade-Long Periods (Washington) Read More...
- Designer Piezoelectricity (Chu)Read More...
- Important New Method For Studying Solar Materials (Kioupakis)
- Breakthroughs in Battery Technologies (Wang, Mei)Read More...
- JCAP Simulations for Artificial Photosynthesis (Wang, Lewis)
- Materials Genome Simulations Speed Materials Discovery (Persson)Read More...
- Clearest Pictures Yet of Dark Matter and the Universe (Nugent, White) Read More...
- Turning Grass Into Gas For Less (Chu)Read More...
- A Better Way to ID Extreme Weather Events in Climate Models (Wehner, Prabhat)Read More...
- Origin of Diverse Melting Behavior in Nanoclusters (S. Wei)
- Quantitative Assessment of a Coal Gasification Model (P. Smith)
- Astrophysics: NERSC Played Key Role in Nobel Prize-Winning Discovery (Perlmutter)Read More...
- Astrophysics: Earliest Ever Supernova Detection (Nugent)Read More...
- Nuclear Physics: Geoneutrinos and Earth's Heat Source (KamLAND) Read More...
- Climate: Small Particles, Big Impact (Gustafson) Read More...
- Materials Science: True Rational Materials Design (Aspuru-Guzik)
- Chemistry: Improved Carbon Nanotube Production (Striolo)
- LED Lighting Breakthrough (Kioupakis, Van de Walle)
- Solar System Bubbles (Drake)
- LQCD Evidence for Dibaryon (Savage)
- Speeding Materials Evaluation for Carbon Capture (Haranczyk, Sethian)
- Improving Insulin via Molecular Dynamics (Mikre, Masunov)
- Heaviest Antimatter Nucleus Detected (STARcollaboration)
- Nanoscale Modeling for Carbon Capture (Bourg, Sposito)
- Speculative 14F Nucleus (Maris, Shirokov, Vary)
- Thermoelectric Materials to Recycle Energy (Kent)
- Dark Galaxy Detected (Chakrabarti, Blitz)
- Rechargeable Heat Batteries (Grossman)
- Runaway Electrons Affect ITER (Izzo)
- 20th Century Reanalysis (Compo)
- Faster Computational Docking (Collignon, Schulz, Smith, Baudry)
- Recyling Carbon Dioxide (Ping Liu)
- Computational Chemistry for Better Batteries
- Nanofluids Change Phase (Cummings)
- Simulation Helps Validate Key New Experimental Technique (Pantalides, Pennycock)
- Quantum Dynamics Revealed (H. Guo)
- Nanocatalysis: Small *is* Different (Landman, Barnett)
- Ultra Low-Power Computing? (Yoon, Salahuddin)
- Designing Fuel Cell Membranes (Davanathan, Dupuis)
- Magnetic Reconnection and Anomalous Cosmic Rays (Drake)
- New Method Sheds Light on Protein-Salt Interactions (Prendergast, Saykally)
- ALICE + NERSC + ESnet = Results (Jacobs)
- "Sweaty" Flowers Cool the World (Lee, Boyce)
- What's Pliocene Got to Do With it?* (Federov, Brierly)
- You Need 3D to Watch Stars Explode (Burrows, Nordhaus, Bell, Almgren)
- Simulation of Electrocatalytic Hydrogen Production by a Bio-inspired Catalyst* (Car, Selloni)
* In presentation only; not in Newsletter
- Silicon Uncommon in Deep Earth (Wilkins, Driver)
- First-Ever Antimatter Hypernucleus (N. Xu)
- Why Neon is Missing from Jupiter's Atmosphere (Wilson, Militzer)
- Massive, Young, Star-Forming Galaxies (Ceverino, Klypin)
- First-Principles Modeling of Distant Metal-Water Bonds* (Bogatko, Bylaska,Weare)
- Thermophillic Protein Stability* (Daggett)
- FLASH Modeling Laser-Created Dense Plasmas* (Plewa, Drake)
- Accelerator Simulations Reframed* (Mori)
- MADmap CMB (Cantaloupo, Borrill, Jaffe, Kisner, Stompor)
- Radiation Damage in Ceramics* (Devanathan)
- Transparent Conducting Oxides* (Medvedeva)
- Connecting the Molecular Scale to the Continuum Scale* (Bourg, Sposito)
* In presentation only; not in Newsletter
- Mismatched Alloy Thermoelectrics (Wu, Lee, Grossman)
- Nanoelectronic Switches (Neaton, Quek)
- Cultural Analytics (Manovich)
- Early Hopper Science
- Sudbury Neutrino Data (Poon, Martin)
- Proteins and Water* (Head-Gordon, Johnson, Malardier-Jugroot)
- New Plasma Instability* (Sugiyama)
- Combustion Simulation* (Bell, Day, Gao)
- Graphene Sheets are Pliable* (Kral)
- Halocarbon Greenhouse Gases* (Wuebbles)
- Magma Dynamics* (Spera, Nevins)
* In presentation only; not in Newsletter
- Mitigating Global Climate Change (Washington)
- EMGeo hydrocarbon reservoir mapping software (Newman, Commer)
- AMR for CO2 Sequestration Studies (Bell, Pau, Pruess, Almgren, Lijewski, Zhag)
- Graphene Membrane for Gas Separation (Jiang, Cooper, Dai)
- First of Its Kind Supernova (Aldering, Nugent, Thomas)
- New 3-D Radiation Transfer Capability (Baron)
- Restructuring Catalyst Surfaces (L-W Wang)