Science Highlights Presentations
NERSC collects highlights of recent scientific work carried out by its users. If you are a user and have work that you would like us to highlight please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the list below, names of researchers who did the work appear in brackets.
2018 Set 2
- Quantification of Earthquake Hazard and Risk [NERSC Project PI: David McCallen, Berkeley Lab. Reference: 11th National Conference on Earthquake Engineering, June 2018]
- Unraveling the Mysteries of Self-Cleaning TiO2 [NERSC Project PI: Melissa Hines, Cornell. Reference: J. Balajka, et al, Science, August 2018, Vol. 361, Issue 6404, doi: 10.1126/science.aat6752]
- Resolving an Arctic Modeling Puzzle [NERSC Project PI: D. Feldman, Berkeley Lab. Reference: Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres, 123:789-813; 2018 JAN 27, doi: 10.1002/2017JD027595]
- Understanding Auroras on Ganymede [NERSC Project PI: A. Bhattacharjee, Princeton University. Reference: L. Wang, et al, Journal of Geophysical Research: Space Physics 123, 2815 (2018), doi: 10.1002/2017JA024761]
- Evidence of Antineutrino Oscillation [NERSC Project PIs: Oliver Gutsche, Jim Kowalkowski, Fermilab. Reference: Neutrino 2018 conference]
- Determining Cosmological Parameters with Deep Learning [NERSC Project PI: D. Bard, Berkeley Lab. Reference: SC18]
2018 Set 1
- “Disruptive” Magnetic Islands Confine Fusion Plasmas [NERSC Project PI: C.S. Chang, Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory. Reference: J.M. Kwon et al., Physics of Plasmas 25, 052506 2018, doi: 10.1063/1.5027622]
- Simulations Shed Light on Self-Healing Cement [NERSC Project PI: Vassiliki-Alexandra Glezakou, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Reference: Nguyen et al., ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces 2018, 10, 30011-3019, doi: 10.1021/acsami.7b13309]
- Mapping the Filamentary Structure of the Universe [NERSC Project: DESI, Reference: He, Siyu; Alam, Shadab; Ferraro, Simone; Chen, Yen-Chi; Ho, Shirley, Nature Astronomy, April 9, 2018, Volume 2, 401–406, doi: 10.1038/s41550-018-0426-z]
- Deep Learning at 15 Petaflops [NERSC Project PI: Prabhat, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Reference: Kurth et al., SC 17 Proceedings of the International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage, and Analysis. doi:10.1145/3126908.3126916]
- Deeper Understanding of Livestock Greenhouse Gas Emission [NERSC Project PI: Kjiersten Fagnan, Joint Genome Institute, Reference: Seshadri R, et al. Nature Biotechnology, March 19, 2018 doi:10.1038/nbt.4110here]
- Sensors for Extreme Environments [NERSC Project PI: S. Sankaranarayanan, Argonne National Laboratory, Reference: Zhang et al., Nature 553, 68 (2018). DOI: 10.1038/nature25008]
- Deep Learning Probes Mysteries of Nuclear Matter [NERSC Project PI: Chan, Y-D, Wang, X-N, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Reference: Pang, L-G, et al, Nature Communications, Volume 9, Article number: 210 (2018) doi: 10.1038/s41467-017-02726-3]
- Origin of Heavy Elements [NERSC PI: D. Kasen, UC Berkeley. Reference: D. Kasen, Nature 551, 80–84 (Nov. 2, 2017) doi:10.1038/nature24453]
- Toward Better Protection from Diseases [NERSC PI: E. Nogales, Berkeley Lab. Reference: J. Tenthorey, et al, Science Nov. 17 2017, Vol. 358, Issue 6365 doi:10.1126/science.aao1140]
- The Earth Absorbs Ghostly Neutrinos [NERSC PI: T. Palczewski, Berkeley Lab. Reference: The IceCube Collaboration, Nature 551, 596–600 (Nov. 2017) doi:10.1038/nature24459]
- How 1st Supernovae Altered Early Star Formation [NERSC PI: K. Chen, National Astronomical Observatory of Japan. Reference: K. Chen, et al, The Astrophysical Journal, 844:111, August 2017, doi: 10.3847/1538-4357/aa7b34]
- Better Memristors for Future Memory Devices [NERSC PI: V. Batista, Yale University. Reference: S. Goswami, et al, Nature Materials, Oct. 23, 2017, doi: 10.1038/NMAT5009]
- The Blob that Ate the Tokamak [NERSC PI: C.S. Chang, Princeton Plasma Physics Lab. Reference: R.M. Churchill, et al, Plasma Phys. Control Fusion 59 (2017), 105014 doi:10.1088/1361-6587/aa7c03]
- How Bacteria Adapt to Environmental Stress [NERSC PI: B. Palsson, UC San Diego. Reference: K. Chen, et al, PNAS, vol. 114 no. 43, 11548–11553, doi: 10.1073/pnas.1705524114 ]
- When Neutron Stars and Black Holes Merge [NERSC Project PI: F. Foucart, Berkeley Lab. Reference: R. Fernandez, et al, Classical and Quantum Gravity, 34, 2017, 154001.]
- Predicting Defect-free Nanomaterials [NERSC Project PI: M. Vörös, Argonne National Lab. Reference: F. Giberti, et al, Nanoletters, 17 (4), 2547-2553, March 2017]
- Splitting Water into Hydrogen and Oxygen [NERSC PI: L. Grabow, Univ. of Houston. Reference: Z. Zhao, et al, Nano Energy 39, Sept. 2017, pp 444-453]
- Preparing for Next-Generation CMB Experiments [NERSC Project PI: J. Borrill, Berkeley Lab]
- Recycled Atoms Boost Plasma Turbulence [NERSC Project PI: C.S. Chang, Princeton Plasma Physics Lab. Reference: D.P. Stotler, et al, Nuclear Fusion, 57, 086028, July 4, 2017]
- ‘Hindcasting’ Extreme Weather Events [NERSC Project PI: M. Wehner, Berkeley Lab. Reference: P. Pall, et al, Weather and Climate Extremes, July 2017, doi: 10.106/j.wace.2017.03.004]
- Simulating Superluminous Supernova [NERSC Project PI: S. Woosley, UC Santa Cruz, K. Chen, S. Woolsey, T. Sukhbold, The Astrophysical Journal, 832, 1, Nov. 2016] [Astrophysics]
- Turning Water into Fuel [NERSC Project PI: J. Neaton, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Q. Yan et al, Proc. of the National Academy of Sciences, 114, 12, March 17, 2017] [Materials Science]
- World’s Smallest Diamond Nanowires [NERSC Project PI: T. Devereaux, Stanford, H. Yan, et al, Nature Materials, 16, 349-355, March 2017] [Materials Science]
- Cloud Modeling Goes Vertical [NERSC Project PI: M. Ovchinnikov, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, M. Ovchinnikov, et al, J. of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 121, 21, Nov. 2016] [Atmospheric Sciences]
- Predicting Electron Energy Transport in ITER [NERSC Project PI: C. Holland, UC San Diego, C. Holland, N. Howard, B. Grierson, Nuclear Fusion 57, 2017, 066043] [Fusion Energy Sciences]
- More Dust, Better Air Quality [NERSC Project PI: S. Ghan, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Y. Yang, et al, Nature Communications 8, 15333, May 2017] [Atmospheric Sciences]
- A Super Rare Supernova Discovery [NERSC Project PI: M. Kasliwal, Caltech. Reference: A.Goobar, R. Amanullah, et al, Science 356, 6335, April 2017, 291-295] [Astrophysics]
- Shedding Light on Mysterious Plasma Flows [NERSC Project PI: Wei-Li Lee, Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory. Reference: A. Grierson et al, Physical Review Letters, 118, 015002, January 2017] [Fusion Energy Sciences]
- A Better Way to Grow Graphene [NERSC Project PI: P. Kent, Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Reference: C. Ma, Z. Xiao, et al, Nature Communications, 8, 14815, March 2017] [Materials Science]
- A Record Quantum Circuit Simulation [NERSC PI: T. Haner, ETH Zurich. Reference: Thomas Häner, Damian S. Steiger, 0.5 Petabyte Simulation of a 45-Qubit Quantum Circuit, arXiv:1704.01127 [quant-ph]] [Computer Science]
- Converting CO2 into Methanol [NERSC Project PI: P. Liu, Brookhaven National Laboratory. Reference: S. Kattel, et al, Science, 2017; 355 (6331): 1296] [Materials Science]
- First Complex Calculations of Sigma Particle [NERSC Project PI: R. Edwards, Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Laboratory. Reference: R. Briceno, et al, Physical Review Letters, 118, 022002, January 2017] [Nuclear Physics]
- Catching Extreme Waves with High-Resolution Modeling [NERSC Project PI: M. Wehner, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. Reference: B. Timmermans, et al, Geophysical Research Letters, 44, 3, February 2017] [Earth Systems Science]
- New ‘Tribofilms’ Could Enhance Engine Efficiency [NERSC Project PI: S. Sankaranarayanan, Argonne National Laboratory. Reference: A. Erdemir, G. Ramirez, et al, Nature, 536, August 2016, 67–70] [Materials Science]
- Effects of 3D Shaping on Fusion Reactor Plasma Instabilities [J. Hanson, Auburn University. Reference: Physics of Plasmas, 23, 092513, 2016] [Fusion Energy Science]
- Testing Cosmology with a New ‘Catalogue of Voids’, NERSC Project PI: J. Borrill, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. Reference: S. Nadathur, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 461 (2016) 358 [Cosmology]
- New Workflow Software Streamlines High-Energy Nuclear Physics Data Analysis, NERSC Project PI: Jeff Porter, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. Reference: M. Fasel, Journal of Physics, 762, 2016, 012031 [Nuclear Physics]
- Simulations Confirm Changing CO2 Levels Influence Extreme Weather Events, [NERSC Project PIs: M. Wehner, T. O'Brien, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. Reference: M. Wehner, et al, Bull. of the American Met. Soc., Dec. 2016] [Earth Systems Science]
- Advances in Cost-Effective Fuel Cells [Y. Choi (SABIC Technology Center), Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2016, 4, 5869-5876] [BES]
- Earth’s Viral Diversity Unveiled [N. Kryprides (Berkeley Lab), Nature, 536, 425–430, Aug. 25, 2016] [BER]
- The Search for a Visible Gravitational Wave Source [M. Kasliwal (Caltech), The Astrophysical Journal Letters, Vol. 824, No. 2, June 17, 2016] [HEP]
- Advanced Simulations Support Breakthrough Coupling of Two Plasma Accelerator Stages [C. Benedetti (Berkeley Lab), , Nature, 530, February 2016] [HEP]
- New In-situ Analysis Framework Enables Modeling at Scale [O. Rübel (Berkeley Lab), IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, 36, May-June 2016] [ASCR/HEP]
- Speeding Up a Bioinformatics Application [G. Luecke (Iowa State), International journal of High Performance Computing Applications, July 12, 2016, doi:10.1177/1094342016658110] [BER/ASCR]
- Advances in a Theoretical Understanding of Fusion Edge Plasma Transport [D. Hatch (University of Texas-Austin), Nuclear Fusion, 56, August 2016] [FES]
- Better Materials for Quantum Computing [Govoni, Galli (University of Chicago), Nature Scientific Reports, Vol. 6, No. 20803, Feb. 16, 2016] [BES]
- Interactions Between Climate and Regional Weather [Hagos (Pacific Northwest National Laboratory), Journal of Climate, Vol. 29, No. 3, February 2016, 1091-1107] [BER]
- Design and Discovery of New Ferroelectric Materials [Rappe (University of Pennsylvania), Nature 534, 360-363, June 16, 2016] [BES]
- Brown-Dwarf Companion to Accreting White Dwarf [Baron (University of Oklahoma), Nature 533, 366-368, May 2016] [HEP]
- How Climate Fluctuations Influence Sea Ice Expansion [Meehl, National Center for Atmospheric Research), Nature Geoscience, July 4, 2016, doi: 10.1038/ngeo2751] [BER]
- Efficiency-Limiting Defects in LEDs [Van de Walle (UC-Santa Barbara), Applied Physics Letters, 108, 141101, April 2016] [BES]
- ‘New Math’ Captures Fluid Interface Dynamics in Unprecedented Detail [Saye (Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory), Science Advances, Vol. 2, No. 6, June 3, 2016] [ASCR]
- Results explain the mismatch between predictions and observations of heat loss in tokamak reactors [Howard (MIT), Holland, White, Greenwald and Candy, Nuclear Fusion, Vol. 56, No. 1, Dec. 17, 2015] [FES]
- Researchers have reduced the time needed to detect important features in large climate datasets from years to hours. [D. Millstein, R. Levinson, P. Rosado, M. Cao, Z. Lin, Environmental Science & Technology, November 2015, 49, 14672-14679]
- Simulations support findings that migration of liquids and gases due to fracking have not had a widespread impact on drinking water. [M. Reagan, G. Moridis, N. Keen, J. Johnson, Water Resources Research, Volume 51, Issue 4, April 2015, 2543–2573]
- Scientists use Edison to perform the first LQCD calculations of the radiative capture process. [S. Beane, E. Chang, W. Detmold, K. Orginos, A. Parreno. M. Savage, B Tiburzi, Physical Review Letters, 115, 132001 September 24, 2015]
New tools handle increasingly large datasets produced by ATLAS experiments at the Large Hadron Collider. [P. Calafiura, et al, on behalf of the ATLAS Collaboration, Journal of Physics: Conference Series 664, (2015) 092025]
- Creating Nanoscale Ferroelectricity from a Nonferroelectric Film [X. Wu, Temple University, Science, 349, 6254, 1314-1317, Sep. 2015] [BES]
- Stabilizing a Tokamak Plasma [S. Jardin, Princeton Plasma Physics Lab, Phys. Rev. Lett., 115, 2140001, Nov. 2015] [FES]
- Predicting a New Phase of Superionic Ice [J. Sun, Princeton U., Nature Comm., 6, 8156, August 2015] [BES]
- LUX Dark Matter Experiment [R. Jacobsen, Berkeley Lab, Phys. Rev. Lett., Dec. 11, 2015] [HEP/NP]
- Reflective Roofs Help Reduce Energy Use [D. Millstein, Berkeley Lab, Env. Sci. & Tech., 49, 14672-14679, Nov. 2015] [BER]
- Nobel Prize in Physics 2015 [SNO Collaboration, Phys. Rev. Lett. 87, 071301, 2001] [HEP/NP]
- CT Scan of Earth Links Mantle Plumes with Volcanic Hotspots [s. French, B. Romanowicz, UC Berkeley, Nature 525, 95-99, Sep. 3, 2015] [BES]
- Electron Heat Loss in Fusion Plasma [Belova, Princeton Plasma Physics Lab, Phys. Rev. Lett., 115, June 29, 2015] [FES]
- BISICLES Ice Sheet Model and Climate Change [D. Martin, Berkeley Lab, The Cryosphere, 1579-1600, 2015] [BER]
- Polarized Laser Pulses Could Change Nature of Graphene [T. Deveraux, Stanford, Nature Comm., 6, 70475, 2015] [BES]
- High Accuracy Modeling of Geothermal Wells [Melior Innovations, Inc.] [Industrial Partnerships]
- Modelling Aids Radiation Damage Studies [R. Devanathan, Pacific Northwest National Lab, J. Materials Res., vol. 30, no. 9, May 14, 2015] [BES]
- Using Supercomputers to Analyze Syncrotron Experiments [R. Saykally/D. Prendergast, UC Berkeley, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 2014] [BES] Read more...
- Simulation Insights into Water and Soft Matter [A. Striolo, Univ. College London, J. Phys. Chem. B, 119, 5467-5474, 2015] [BES]
- Observing a Supernova Colliding with its Neighbor [P. Nugent. Berkeley Lab, Nature, Vol. 521, May 21, 2015] [HEP] Read more...
- Assessing the Impact of Fracking on Drinking Water [G. Moridis, AGU Water Resources Research, 51, 2543-2573, 2015] [BES] Read more...
- Expanding the Impact of Pore Scale Simulations [T. Scheibe, AGU Water Resources Research, Feb. 2015] [BER]
- Improved multiscale modeling method leads to key result for batteries [T. Miller, Caltech, J. Phys. Chem. C, 119(8), 3865-3880] [BES] Read more...
- Climate change effects on wind turbine industry are being evaluated [S. Capps, Vertum Partners] [SBIR]
- Multiscale Two-Phase Bubbly Flow Modeling [J. Ma, Dynaflow, Inc., Chem. Eng. Sciences, 128, 64-81, 2015] [SBIR]
- Using NERSC to Help Optimize SNS [S. Veltzer, Tech-X] [SBIR]
- Investigating element 106, seaborgium [G. Malli, Simon Fraser U., J. Chem. Phys., 142, 064311, 2015] [NP]
- Those bothersome fusion blobs [W. Lee/ M. Urbansky, UC San Diego/Livermore Lab, Phy. of Plasmas, 22, 12505, 2015] [FES]
- Boosting Combustion Research [Bell] Read more...
- Power to the Electrons [Leemans] Read more...
- Material Genomics to the MAX [Ching]
- Tracking Tropical Clouds to Polish Climate and Weather Prediction [Hagos]
- 'CT Scan' of Distant Universe Reveals Cosmic Web in 3D [Lee] Read more...
- New Inexpensive Silicon-based Semiconductor for Solar Energy Conversion [Galli]
- Relearning Acid-Base Fundamentals [Mundy]
- Probing Mercury's Partnering Preferences [Smith]
- Fusion Simulations Could Reduce Reactor Costs [Landreman/Dorland] Read more...
- NERSC Projects Put Data in the Fast Lane Read more...
- Meraculous Genomics Performance [Yelick]
- Unusual Demise for Some Ancient Stars [Chen/Woosley] Read more...
- Promising Approach to Solar Conversion [Galli]
- Basic Understanding of Water as Solvent [Xantheas]
- Tokamak Stabilization via Simulation [Citrin] Read more...
- Unusual Climate Modeling Result: Decreased Flooding From Higher Temps [Stone] Read more ...
- Improving LED Efficiency Through Computation [Kioupakis] Read more ...
- Controlling NanoParticle Assembly [Grest]
- Controlling Nanoparticle Interactions to Engineer New Materials [Grest]
- Computational High-Throughput Screening of Organic Materials for Solar Energy and Lighting [Kara]
- Materials Informatics Helps Optimize Gas Storage [Smit]
- Colossal Magnetic Moments Discovered [Jena] Read more...
- Exploring Magnetism in a Single Atom [Gangopadhyay]
- Disordered Materials Hold Promise for Better Batteries [Ceder] Read more...
- Model Shows Arrangement of Proteins in Photosynthetic Membranes [Geissler]
- How Many Earths are There? [Petigura] Read more...
- IceCube is 2013 Physics Breakthrough of the Year [Gerhardt] Read more...
- Simulation Couples with Experiment to Boost Energy Research [Smith]
- Simulation Captures the Essence of Carbonate Crystallization [Whitelam]
- Project Discovers 'Fingers' of Heat that Help Explain the ’Plumbing' of Earth’s Mantle [Romanowicz] Read more...
- Developing Better Catalysts [Mei]
- World's Thinnest Solar Cell [Grossman]
- Stabilizing Carbon Nanotubes [Striolo]
- New Theory of Crystallization [Wallace] Read more...
- Fusion Snakes [Sugiyama]
- Alzheimer's and Amyloid Fibril Assembly [Ghatty]
- IceCube Finds Neutrinos Invading from Another Galaxy [Gerhardt]
- First Independent Confirmation of Global Land Warming [Compo] Read more...
- Mail-Order Metal Organic Frameworks [Smit] Read more...
- Study Shows How a Greenhouse Gas Could be Converted to Fuel [Batista]
- NERSC Collaboration will Improve Materials Analysis [Persson, Jain, Cholia]
- Reduced Climate Change Impact in California from Emission Regulations [Collins] Read more...
- Tundra Bushes Add Fuel to Northern Thaw [Bonfils] Read more...
- New Method Improves Simulations of Foams, Membranes, Detergents, and More [Saye, Sethian] Read more...
- Using Computation to Understand the Basis of Circadian Rhythm [Batista]
- Computation Improves Lithium Batteries [Leung]
- NERSC Helps Planck Mission Expose Ancient Light [Borrill] Read more...
- Studies Suggest Super-Efficient Solar Cells [Wippermann, Galli]
- Explaining the Origin of Semiconductor Exciton Binding Energy Variation [Zu]
- Freely Decaying Turbulence in 2-D Electrostatic Gyrokinetics [Dorland]
- Study of Runaway Electron Currents is Important Step Towards Understanding ITER Plasma Disruption [Izzo]
- Magnetic and Plasma Stochasticity can be Intrinsically Generated in Confined Toroidal Plasma Edges [Sugiyama]
- Determining the Sign of the Pairing State in High-Tc Superconductors [Das] Read more...
- Study Points to More Efficient Catalysts [Chen] Read more...
- Nailing Down the Structure of Mullite (Ching)
- Climate Change Mitigation and Sea Level Rise (Washington/Meehl/Hu)
- Science at Scale: Plasma Finding is Key for ITER (Chang) Read more...
- Understanding Battery Failure (Miller)
- Computational Studies Shed Light on Energetic Materials Degradation (Kuklja)
- Science at Scale: Understanding CO2 Sequestration (Trebotich)
- Using Computation to Improve Water Desalination (Grossman) Read More...
- Dramatically Increasing Weather Forecasting Skill (Hamill/Bates)
- "Windows of Opportunity" for Efficient Gas Separation Using Carbon Nanotubes (Jiang)
- Modeling Feat Sheds Light on Protein Channel's Function (Miller) Read More...
- Simulations Reveal Universal Viscosity Behavior of Polymer Nanocomposites (Grest)
- Implications of the Higgs Boson Discovery (Nath)
- A Climate Extension to the Weather Research and Forecasting Model, CWRF (Liang)
- Modeling Reveals How Oceans Plunged the Planet into a Catastrophic Big Freeze (Condron)
- Efficient Discovery of Porous Materials for Gas Separation and Storage (Smit) Read More...
- Simulations Reveal Key Fuel Cell Membrane Characteristics (Devanathan) Read More...
- Calculations Suggest Promise for Graphene-Nanotube Transistors (Varga / Cook)
- Computer as Laboratory: Test-Tube Simulations of Protein Unfolding (Daggett)
- Promise for Onion-Like Carbons as Supercapacitors (Jiang/Cummings) Read More...
- Learning from Photosynthesis (Cheung) Read More...
- Science at Scale: Parallel I/O Supports Analysis of Trillion-Particle Simulation (Byna/Karimabadi) Read More...
- Unlocking the Mysteries of the Neutrino (Gratta/Marino) Read More...
- Tuning Nanoporous Graphene for Gas Separation (Schrier) Read More...
- Science Through Volume:NDCX-II Simulations Help Clear the Path to Heavy Ion Fusion (Friedman) Read More...
- Science and Energy Insight from NERSC + ALS (Saykally/Prendergast)
- Computations Reveal the Mechanism of Catalytic Reduction of Ntirogen Dioxide (Broadbelt/Snurr)
- Science at Scale: Simulations Aid in Understanding Climate Impacts (Collins)
- A New Kind of Neutrino Transformation (DayaBay) Read More...
- Powered by NERSC, JGI Database Now Contains 3 Billion Genes (Markowitz)Read More...
- Deep Oceans Can Mask Global Warming for Decade-Long Periods (Washington) Read More...
- Designer Piezoelectricity (Chu)Read More...
- Important New Method For Studying Solar Materials (Kioupakis)
- Breakthroughs in Battery Technologies (Wang, Mei)Read More...
- JCAP Simulations for Artificial Photosynthesis (Wang, Lewis)
- Materials Genome Simulations Speed Materials Discovery (Persson)Read More...
- Clearest Pictures Yet of Dark Matter and the Universe (Nugent, White) Read More...
- Turning Grass Into Gas For Less (Chu)Read More...
- A Better Way to ID Extreme Weather Events in Climate Models (Wehner, Prabhat)Read More...
- Origin of Diverse Melting Behavior in Nanoclusters (S. Wei)
- Quantitative Assessment of a Coal Gasification Model (P. Smith)
- Astrophysics: NERSC Played Key Role in Nobel Prize-Winning Discovery (Perlmutter)Read More...
- Astrophysics: Earliest Ever Supernova Detection (Nugent)Read More...
- Nuclear Physics: Geoneutrinos and Earth's Heat Source (KamLAND) Read More...
- Climate: Small Particles, Big Impact (Gustafson) Read More...
- Materials Science: True Rational Materials Design (Aspuru-Guzik)
- Chemistry: Improved Carbon Nanotube Production (Striolo)
- LED Lighting Breakthrough (Kioupakis, Van de Walle)
- Solar System Bubbles (Drake)
- LQCD Evidence for Dibaryon (Savage)
- Speeding Materials Evaluation for Carbon Capture (Haranczyk, Sethian)
- Improving Insulin via Molecular Dynamics (Mikre, Masunov)
- Heaviest Antimatter Nucleus Detected (STARcollaboration)
- Nanoscale Modeling for Carbon Capture (Bourg, Sposito)
- Speculative 14F Nucleus (Maris, Shirokov, Vary)
- Thermoelectric Materials to Recycle Energy (Kent)
- Dark Galaxy Detected (Chakrabarti, Blitz)
- Rechargeable Heat Batteries (Grossman)
- Runaway Electrons Affect ITER (Izzo)
- 20th Century Reanalysis (Compo)
- Faster Computational Docking (Collignon, Schulz, Smith, Baudry)
- Recyling Carbon Dioxide (Ping Liu)
- Computational Chemistry for Better Batteries
- Nanofluids Change Phase (Cummings)
- Simulation Helps Validate Key New Experimental Technique (Pantalides, Pennycock)
- Quantum Dynamics Revealed (H. Guo)
- Nanocatalysis: Small *is* Different (Landman, Barnett)
- Ultra Low-Power Computing? (Yoon, Salahuddin)
- Designing Fuel Cell Membranes (Davanathan, Dupuis)
- Magnetic Reconnection and Anomalous Cosmic Rays (Drake)
- New Method Sheds Light on Protein-Salt Interactions (Prendergast, Saykally)
- ALICE + NERSC + ESnet = Results (Jacobs)
- "Sweaty" Flowers Cool the World (Lee, Boyce)
- What's Pliocene Got to Do With it?* (Federov, Brierly)
- You Need 3D to Watch Stars Explode (Burrows, Nordhaus, Bell, Almgren)
- Simulation of Electrocatalytic Hydrogen Production by a Bio-inspired Catalyst* (Car, Selloni)
* In presentation only; not in Newsletter
- Silicon Uncommon in Deep Earth (Wilkins, Driver)
- First-Ever Antimatter Hypernucleus (N. Xu)
- Why Neon is Missing from Jupiter's Atmosphere (Wilson, Militzer)
- Massive, Young, Star-Forming Galaxies (Ceverino, Klypin)
- First-Principles Modeling of Distant Metal-Water Bonds* (Bogatko, Bylaska,Weare)
- Thermophillic Protein Stability* (Daggett)
- FLASH Modeling Laser-Created Dense Plasmas* (Plewa, Drake)
- Accelerator Simulations Reframed* (Mori)
- MADmap CMB (Cantaloupo, Borrill, Jaffe, Kisner, Stompor)
- Radiation Damage in Ceramics* (Devanathan)
- Transparent Conducting Oxides* (Medvedeva)
- Connecting the Molecular Scale to the Continuum Scale* (Bourg, Sposito)
* In presentation only; not in Newsletter
- Mismatched Alloy Thermoelectrics (Wu, Lee, Grossman)
- Nanoelectronic Switches (Neaton, Quek)
- Cultural Analytics (Manovich)
- Early Hopper Science
- Sudbury Neutrino Data (Poon, Martin)
- Proteins and Water* (Head-Gordon, Johnson, Malardier-Jugroot)
- New Plasma Instability* (Sugiyama)
- Combustion Simulation* (Bell, Day, Gao)
- Graphene Sheets are Pliable* (Kral)
- Halocarbon Greenhouse Gases* (Wuebbles)
- Magma Dynamics* (Spera, Nevins)
* In presentation only; not in Newsletter
- Mitigating Global Climate Change (Washington)
- EMGeo hydrocarbon reservoir mapping software (Newman, Commer)
- AMR for CO2 Sequestration Studies (Bell, Pau, Pruess, Almgren, Lijewski, Zhag)
- Graphene Membrane for Gas Separation (Jiang, Cooper, Dai)
- First of Its Kind Supernova (Aldering, Nugent, Thomas)
- New 3-D Radiation Transfer Capability (Baron)
- Restructuring Catalyst Surfaces (L-W Wang)