NERSC's core mission is to accelerate the pace of scientific discovery. NERSC and its nearly 7,000 users are are extremely active contributors to all fields of energy-related science in which computation and data analysis play a central role. NERSC is cited in about 2,000 refereed scientific publications per year. A sample of science articles is at Science News and science presentations can be found at Science Highlights Presentations. On these pages we present some highlights from our users and describe some of the ways NERSC gathers requirements for science and recognizes its users accomplishments.
Nobel Prize Winning Research
NERSC has supported the work of six Nobel Prize winning researchers and teams.
- 2017 Chemistry: Joachim Frank "for developing cryo-electron microscopy for the high-resolution structure determination of biomolecules in solution" [MORE]
- 2015 Physics: SNO Collaboration "for the discovery of neutrino oscillations, which shows that neutrinos have mass" [MORE]
- 2013 Chemistry: Martin Karlpus "for the development of multiscale models for complex chemical systems" [MORE]
- 2011 Physics: Saul Perlmutter "for the discovery of the accelerating expansion of the Universe through observations of distant supernovae" [MORE]
- 2007 Peace: Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change "for their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change"
- 2006 Physics: George Smoot "for the discovery of the blackbody form and anisotropy of the cosmic microwave background radiation" [MORE]
- COVID-19 Research at NERSC NERSC is supporting COVID-19 related research by providing urgent access to its High Performance Computing and Data resources and staff expertise. All interested researchers can apply to use NERSC through the COVID-19 High Performance Computing Consortium. This unique private-public effort brings together federal government, industry, and academic leaders to volunteer free computing time and resources on their world-class machines. Scientists are invited to submit COVID-19 related research…
- Science News Highlights of scientific discoveries and milestones enabled by NERSC and its computational and data resources.
- World's first 3-D Simulations of Superluminous Supernovae
- New Estimates for Ice Sheet Mass Loss
- Designing Materials with Tunable Electrical and Magnetic Behaviors
- Near-Real Time Networked Analysis of KSTAR Data
- New Conservation Laws in Turbulent Magnetized Flows
- Petawatt Laser Guiding and Electron Beam Acceleration to 8 GeV in a Laser-Heated Capillary Discharge Waveguide
- Towards Simpler Fusion Power Devices
- Cutting Edge Simulations of Lasers Interacting With Dense Plasmas
- Vulnerability of the Antarctic Ice Sheet
- Machine-Learned Impurity Level Prediction in Semiconductors
- Mapping Neutral Hydrogen in the Early Universe
- Enabling Thermochemistry Estimation using Deep Learning
- Exploring the High-Pressure Materials Genome
- DOE Models Simulate Antarctic Ice Sheet Evolution
- ATLAS Experiment: Scaling High Throughput Workflows
- Amazon Soil Moisture Impact on Carbon Dioxide Emissions
- Machine-Learned Impurity Prediction in Semiconductors
- Detection of Helium in Sub-luminous Thermonuclear Supernovae
- Binding Preferences Predictions Across the Actinide Series
- New Methodology for Simulating Nanoporous Materials
- Quantifying Systematic Error in Monte Carlo Simulations
- Magnetic Reconnection: A bridge to Plasma Kinetic Scales
- How California Wildfires Can Impact Water Availability
- Predicting Plasma Pressure in Future Fusion Facilities
- Hydrogen a Culprit in Battery Degredation
- An Integral Role for Gluons in the Proton's Pressure Distribution
- New Insights Into the Human Gut Microbiome
- A New Understanding of Perovskite Solar Cells
- Squeezed nanocrystals: A new model predicts their shape
NERSC HPC Achievement Awards
The NERSC HPC Achievement Awards are given annually to recognize extraordinary scientific achievement from NERSC users and to encourage the innovative use of High Performance Computing resources.
- Call for Nominations for 2020 NERSC Early Career Scientific Achievement Awards
- NERSC Early Career HPC Achievement Awards Nomination Form
- NERSC Achievement Award Recipients 2018-19
- 2017 Recipients
- 2016 Recipients
- Third Annual HPC Achievement Award Recipients
- Second Annual HPC Achievement Award Recipients
- 2013 HPC Achievement Award Recipients
- Science Highlights Presentations Quarterly highlight slides of recent scientific accomplishments from NERSC users.
- NERSC Science Highlights Submission Form Please use this form to submit your science highlights. NERSC may incorporate your highlight into featured science stories, include in our highlight slides, or used by NERSC staff in presentations and reports. When you submit, you may include a highlight slide, a graphic representing your work, and/or a document containing a short description. Submissions that include graphics, a slide, and/or a story are move likely to be used by NERSC in stories, presentations, etc. Please use these…
- NERSC User Publications
- High-Impact Science at Scale on Cori NERSC's High-Impact Science at Scale program provides competitively selected projects an allocation of time to use Cori's unique capabilities to deliver high-impact science. Selected projects use NERSC resources at scale to investigate key science problems that they would not otherwise be able to address. Teams were selected following a Call for Proposals, in which responses were reviewed for the ability to scale well on Cori KNL nodes, potential to deliver a significant science result, a…
- Inter-Facility Science Inter-facility Science As data volumes and data complexity have grown at experimental and observational facilities funded by DOE, there has been an increase in partnerships between NERSC and these facilities. This page highlights recent examples where NERSC's scalable computing and data analytic capabilities have been leveraged in coordination with large scale experimental and observational science. NERSC seeks opportunities where HPC can accelerate discovery and/or expand the scope of…
- HPC Requirements Reviews The user requirements reviews are held to ensure that DOE can meet the scientific needs of the Office of Science and its researchers.