NERSC's core mission is to accelerate the pace of scientific discovery. NERSC and its nearly 7,000 users are are extremely active contributors to all fields of energy-related science in which computation and data analysis play a central role. NERSC is cited in about 2,000 refereed scientific publications per year. A sample of science articles is at Science News and science presentations can be found at Science Highlights Presentations. On these pages we present some highlights from our users and describe some of the ways NERSC gathers requirements for science and recognizes its users accomplishments.
Nobel Prize Winning Research
NERSC has supported the work of six Nobel Prize winning researchers and teams.
- 2017 Chemistry: Joachim Frank "for developing cryo-electron microscopy for the high-resolution structure determination of biomolecules in solution" [MORE]
- 2015 Physics: SNO Collaboration "for the discovery of neutrino oscillations, which shows that neutrinos have mass" [MORE]
- 2013 Chemistry: Martin Karlpus "for the development of multiscale models for complex chemical systems" [MORE]
- 2011 Physics: Saul Perlmutter "for the discovery of the accelerating expansion of the Universe through observations of distant supernovae" [MORE]
- 2007 Peace: Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change "for their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change"
- 2006 Physics: George Smoot "for the discovery of the blackbody form and anisotropy of the cosmic microwave background radiation" [MORE]
Please use this form to submit your science highlights. NERSC may incorporate your highlight into featured science stories, include in our highlight slides, or used by NERSC staff in presentations and reports. When you submit, you may include a highlight slide, a graphic representing your work, and/or a document containing a short description. Submissions that include graphics, a slide, and/or a story are move likely to be used by NERSC in stories, presentations, etc. Please use these… Read More »
Inter-facility Science As data volumes and data complexity have grown at experimental and observational facilities funded by DOE, there has been an increase in partnerships between NERSC and these facilities. This page highlights recent examples where NERSC's scalable computing and data analytic capabilities have been leveraged in coordination with large scale experimental and observational science. NERSC seeks opportunities where HPC can accelerate discovery and/or expand the scope of… Read More »
NERSC's High-Impact Science at Scale program provides competitively selected projects an allocation of time to use Cori's unique capabilities to deliver high-impact science. Selected projects use NERSC resources at scale to investigate key science problems that they would not otherwise be able to address. Teams were selected following a Call for Proposals, in which responses were reviewed for the ability to scale well on Cori KNL nodes, potential to deliver a significant science result, a… Read More »