NERSC N-Ways to GPU Programming Bootcamp, April 5-6, 2023
NERSC, in collaboration with the OpenACC Organization and NVIDIA, is hosting an N-Ways to GPU Programming Bootcamp for 2 days on Wed-Thur, April 5-6, 2023. Beginner users in GPU programming are especially encouraged to attend.
During this two-day online Bootcamp, participants will learn about multiple GPU programming models and can choose the one that best fits their needs to run their scientific codes on GPUs. This Bootcamp will cover an introduction to GPU programming using OpenACC, OpenMP, stdpar and CUDA C, and provides hands-on opportunities to learn how to analyze GPU-enabled applications using NVIDIA® Nsight™ Systems. This Bootcamp is a hands-on learning experience where you will be guided through step-by-step instructions and participate in a code challenge to work in teams for the best performance in porting mini-applications. Teaching assistants are on hand to help throughout.
We will be utilizing the NVIDIA Curiosity Cluster for this Bootcamp. This event has limited capacity, so please sign up early and note that active NERSC/ALCF/OLCF users will be prioritized during the registration process.
Basic experience with C/C++ or Fortran. No GPU Programming or AI knowledge is required. This event has limited capacity, so please make sure that prerequisites are met before applying.
Bootcamp Event Format
Participants are introduced to available libraries, programming models, and platforms through a mix of lectures, labs, and extensive hands-on collaboration based on real-life codes, data, and use cases. To keep the events both productive and fun, bootcamps include a competition component where teams work on mini-applications to show the best acceleration techniques. See more information about bootcamps here.
All times are in Pacific Time (PT), Subject to change
Day 0: Tuesday, April 4, 2023: 01:00 PM - 02:00 PM Mandatory Cluster Dry Run
Day 1: Wednesday, April 5, 2023: 09:00 AM - 05:00 PM
- 09:00 AM - 09:15 AM: Welcome (Moderator)
- 09:15 AM - 10:00 AM: Introduction to GPU Computing and Profiling (Lecture)
- 10:00 AM - 10:45 AM: Accelerating Standard C++ and Fortran with GPUs (Lecture and Lab)
- 10:45 AM - 11:15 AM: Break
- 11:15 AM - 12:30 PM: Directive Based Programming with OpenMP and OpenACC on GPU (Lecture)
- 12:30 PM - 01:30 PM: Lunch
- 01:30 PM - 03:00 PM: Directive Based Programming with OpenMP and OpenACC on GPU (Lab)
- 03:00 PM - 03:15 PM: Break
- 03:15 PM - 05:00 PM: CUDA C/Fortran Programming (Lecture + Lab)
Day 2: Thursday, April 6, 2023: 09:00 AM - 12:30 PM
- 09:00 AM - 12:00 PM: Teaching assistants are assigned to help with the code challenge
- 12:00 PM - 12:30 PM: Wrap up and Q&A
Application to Attend
Detailed information can be found at NVIDIA's Bootcamp Events page, where you can apply with the "APPLY NOW" button. The application deadline is March 22, 2023. This event has limited capacity, and active NERSC/ALCF/OLCF users will be prioritized during the registration process. Please note acceptance is not confirmed until you have received a confirmation email later when closer to the bootcamp.