Genepool Featured Announcements
Viewing entries posted in April 2012
April 26, 2012 by Katie Antypas
On May 9th, we will hold a training session for users on how to get help from NERSC. Front line JGI user support will be transitioned to the NERSC consulting team within the next month. At this training we will show you how to contact the NERSC consultants and how to track the progress of your problem reports. We will also explain our service model and service level commitments and goals.
When: May 9th 1:30-2:30pm
Where: Room 149 A/B
What to bring: Your laptop
April 26, 2012 by Katie Antypas
As a reminder, the NetApp file systems are being retired. They are currently set to read-only and on May 8th the mount point will be changed. Users should make sure that all important data in the NetApp file systems has been archived to HPSS or migrated to the /house or /projectb file systems. Users will still have access to the NetApp file systems from the data transfer nodes until we are confident that all data has been backed up.
April 18, 2012 by Katie Antypas
This training will be very hands-on, so please bring a laptop. We will be solving user questions as a group so everyone can see how to diagnose some of the common problems. You will be able to get one on one assistance if necessary. We will also cover and assist with data migration from /home to /house.
Where: 100-149 A/B
When: Wednesday, April 18th from 1:30-3:30 (or as long as people have questions)
Training: "Why isn't my job running?"
- Overview of queues and complexes, as well as the Genepool configuration (15 min)
- Basic submission options for qsub - "Where will my job end up?" (10 min)
- Open up the floor to let anyone ask about jobs that aren't running. We'll try to solve your problems and answer questions in real-time in front of the group. This will highlight the use of the qstat and qconf commands. (30-40 min, possibly longer)
- Overview of environment variables and modules (20 min)
- More advanced job submission information - array jobs (10 min)
- Open up the floor to more questions about workflows and adapting submission scripts to include job array syntax.
- Data transfer - Netapps are going read only, are there people here who need help transferring their data
- General help session (until the room is empty)
April 10, 2012 by Katie Antypas
The Crius system is in the process of being decommissioned. All groups, besides the fungal/annotation group are no longer able to submit jobs to Crius. The fungal group is finishing up testing on Genepool. 40 Crius nodes are being moved to Genepool now and the final 40 nodes will be moved when fungal's testing is completed.
April 6, 2012 by Katie Antypas
On April 17th we plan to set the NetApps file system to read-only. This is in preparation for retiring the NetApps file system at the end of May. Please make plans to archive this data to NERSC's HPSS tape system or move them to another file system like house or projectb.
After April 17th you will be able read data from the NetApps, but not write to them. Information on moving data to NERSC's tape archive is located here.
If you need help or have concerns about this change please let us know as soon as possible. The NetApps file system is already off maintenance protection and we are pushing to get all user data off of them because at this point, we would be unable to recover any data from the NetApps file system in case of failure.