NUG Meeting Oct 15, 2020
Date: Thursday, October 15, 2020
Time: 11:00 PST
Update: Slides are attached below, and video is now online at https://youtu.be/5QU4ekBmtfI
The Monthly NUG Meeting is a regular opportunity for our users to show off what they've done, for NERSC to get feedback from users, and for users to exchange ideas.
For a more detailed agenda please see this document.
- Win-of-the-month: open discussion for attendees to tell of some success you've had - eg getting a paper accepted, solving a problem, or achieving something innovative or high impact using NERSC
- Today-I-learned: open discussion for attendees to point out something that surprised them, or that might be valuable to other users to know
- Announcements and CFPs: upcoming conferences, workshops, or other events
- Topic-of-the-day: Today's topic is "The cscratch1 crash". Cori had a major outage during the last two weeks. We're still investigating the root cause but the trigger conditions appear to relate to files with a very large stripe count. We'll give an overview of the crash, the conditions that we think triggered it and the impacts users might be seeing. We'll also have some Q&A with NERSC's Doug Jacobsen (Computational Systems Group), Glenn Lockwood (Storage Systems Group) and Lisa Gerhardt and Alberto Chiusole (Data and Analytics Services).
We're still investigating the root cause, so a deeper analysis will be a topic for a future meeting. But we can discuss what we know so far, tips for working around impacts you experience as a result, and how we debug this kind of issue.
- Coming up: Nominations and requests for future topics
- Last month's numbers: NERSC center metrics and info for the most recent month
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://lbnl.zoom.us/j/285479463
Or iPhone one-tap :
US: +16699006833,,285479463# or +16465588656,,285479463#
Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
US: +1 669 900 6833 or +1 646 558 8656 or +1 877 369 0926 (Toll Free) or +1 855 880 1246 (Toll Free)
Meeting ID: 285 479 463
International numbers available: https://zoom.us/u/Uk9Wbt2Z
Or an H.323/SIP room system:
220.127.116.11 (US West)
18.104.22.168 (US East)
22.214.171.124 (Hong Kong)
Meeting ID: 285 479 463
SIP: [email protected]
NUG-Meeting-15-Oct.pdf | Adobe Acrobat PDF fileSlides (PDF) from the NUG meeting on Oct 15, 2020