I received my PhD in Computer Science from Western Michigan University at Kalamazoo in April 2019. During my PhD, I worked on the development of high performance reductive strategies for Mass Spectrometry based proteomics. During the Summer of 2017 I worked at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory's Earth and Molecular Science Division, here I developed GPU accelerated strategies for date mining. Currently I am working as a post-doc at NERSC as a part of the application performance group where my focus is to design and implement acceleration strategies for Bioinformatics algorithms.
- Ph.D., Computer Science, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI
- B.Sc., Electrical Engineering, University of Engineering and Technology, Lahore
Journal Publications (peer-reviewed)
- Yelick, Katherine, Aydın Buluç, Muaaz G. Awan, Ariful Azad, Benjamin Brock, Rob Egan, Saliya Ekanayake et al. "The parallelism motifs of genomic data analysis." Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A 378, no. 2166 (2020): 20190394
- Muaaz G. Awan and Fahad Saeed, "MaSS-Simulator: A highly con configurable simulator for generating MS/MS datasets for benchmarking of proteomics algorithms", Wiley Proteomics, September 2018
- Muaaz G. Awan, Taban Eslami and Fahad Saeed, "GPU-DAEMON: GPU algorithm design, data management & optimization template for array based big omics data", Elsevier Computers in Biology and Medicine, August 2018 Elsevier
- Muaaz G. Awan and Fahad Saeed, "MS-REDUCE: An ultrafast technique for reduction of Big Mass Spectrometry Data for high-throughput processing", Oxford Bioinformatics, Jan 2016 Tech Report | PubMed | Oxford
Conference publications (peer-reviewed)
- Muaaz G. Awan and Fahad Saeed, "An Out-of-Core GPU based dimensionality reduction algorithm for Big Mass Spectrometry Data and its application in bottom-up Proteomics", Proceedings of ACM Conference on Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, and Health Informatics (ACM BCB), Boston MA, August 2017 Tech Report
- Taban Eslami, Muaaz G. Awan and Fahad Saeed, "GPU-PCC: A GPU based technique to compute pairwise Pearson's Correlation Coefficients for big fMRI data", Workshop on Parallel and Cloud-based Bioinformatics and Biomedicine (ParBio), Proceedings of ACM Conference on Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, and Health Informatics (ACM BCB), Boston MA, August 2017 Tech Report
- Muaaz G. Awan and Fahad Saeed, "GPU-ArraySort: A parallel, in-place algorithm for sorting large number of arrays", Proceedings of Workshop on High Performance Computing for Big Data, International Conference on Parallel Processing (ICPP-2016), Philadelphia PA, August 2016 Tech Report
- Muaaz G. Awan and Fahad Saeed, "On the sampling of Big Mass Spectrometry Data", Proceedings of Bioinformatics and Computational Biology (BICoB)Conference, Honolulu Hawaii, March 2015 Tech Report
Talks and Posters
- Perlmutter- A way point for ECP teams, 2020 Exascale Computing Project Annual Meeting, Houston, Texas.
- Design of High-Performance Computational Techniques on Many Core Devices for LC-MS/MS Proteomics (2019), Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, California.
- Enabling Massive Peptide Library Search Using GPU-FLASH, Cascadia Proteomics Symposium 2017, Seattle, Washington.
- Accelerating Metagenome analysis using Graphics Processing Units, 2020 Exascale Computing Project Annual Meeting, Houston, Texas.