NERSC NX Service - X-Windows Acceleration at NERSC
NX is a computer program that handles remote X Window System connections and it provides three benefits for NERSC users:
- SPEED: NX can greatly improve the performance of X Windows, allowing users with slow, high latency connections (e.g. on cell phone network, traveling in Africa) to use complex X Windows programs (such as rotating a plot in Matlab).
- SESSION: NX provides sessions that allow a user to disconnect from the session and reconnect to it at a later time while keeping the state of all running applications inside the session.
- DESKTOP: NX gives users a virtual desktop that's running at NERSC. You can customize the desktop according to your work requirement.
New NX Service
Comparing to the old NX service, the new NX has two significant changes:
- The new NX uses KDE as the default desktop. KDE provides a friendly and highly customizable user interface;
- The new NX server uses a load-balanced architecture. The service is built on two servers, providing extra user capacity.
NERSC has made NX available to all active users. If you can log in to a NERSC system you can connect via NX.
Quick Start Up Tutorial
Got A Question?
Check out the NX FAQ