2014 call for NERSC's Data Intensive Computing Pilot Program Due December 10
November 18, 2013 by Francesca Verdier (0 Comments)
NERSC's Data Intensive Computing Pilot Program is now open for its second round of allocations to projects in data intensive science. This pilot aims to support and enable scientists to tackle their most demanding data intensive challenges. Selected projects will be piloting new methods and technologies targeting data management, analysis, and dissemination.
The deadline to apply is Tuesday December 10, 11:59 PM Pacific Time.
This program will run for the 2014 allocation year (January 14, 2014 - January 12, 2015). In particular we encourage applications targeting:
- Novel uses of the HPSS archival storage in data analysis workflows, techniques that leverage tape and disk.
- Projects with high-throughput computing challenges.
- Projects that generate data products that are then shared with a larger community through science gateways.
- Projects that propose new ways to synthesize multiple data sets or observational and simulation data to glean new insights.
- Software development that enhances data management strategies available to the NERSC user community and which are listed at Data Management Strategies and Policies.
Successful applicants will have access to one or more of the following resources:
- Up to 1 PB of Storage ( up to 200 TB of Project Disk Storage and 800 TB of Archival Storage)
- Up to 10 million core hours on the Carver InfiniBand Cluster (15 million NERSC MPP hours)
- Priority access to a Hadoop cluster
- Reserved access to dedicated data transfer resources that are well connect to the 100Gb network
- Priority access to a 1 TB memory node on Carver
- Science Gateways for providing access to data and results through the web
- Access to Relational and Schema-less databases
To apply fill out a 2014 ERCAP allocation request form.
In the Project Overview section select "Data Pilot project" for Project Class, and in the Resources Requested section select "Data Pilot Allocations" as the MPP Allocation Type.
Please address one or more of the 2014 Data Pilot program goals in the Project Description section - Project Overview. In this section also describe which of the resources listed above you intend to use and how you intend to use them. You may also attach a PDF with a longer description if you wish.
Be sure to answer question 21 - How much storage space do you need? - in the Data / Networking section.